Saturday, January 31, 2015

Wordle: x

The Wordle above is from the National Library of Medicine’s news feed. I use the website everyday so I wanted to create a Wordle. I’ve used Wordles in the past but mainly as a graphic. I love the visual representation of concepts and ideas in words.   

Google Cultural Institute

This site is like visiting a museum. I looked at the art and artifacts in the National Museum of the Romanian Peasant. I also viewed the Favorite Technologies of the 1950’s. This site has lots of images, videos and interactive features.  It would enhance lessons on art, culture, and history. 

Lexipedia

This site creates a concept map of words you select. Lexipedia is a site to that maps words, their similarities, origins, and definitions in a graphic representation. You can compare synonyms, antonyms, adjectives and other topics. There is an audio file for pronunciation and definitions.  This site would be useful for English and language arts.

 Craftsy

Craftsy features videos, downloads, and projects on sewing, jewelry, quilting, and other craft projects. This site would be useful for student’s personal interest in crafts and art. I think this would be a good way for home-schooled students to have exposure to arts and crafts.  Just a note: there is a fee for the courses on this site. 

The 2011 Horizon Report (p.6) explains that cloud computing is becoming more prevalent as schools use cloud tools for e-mail and programing. The Horizon Report also points out that many of cloud resources are used outside of the classroom for personal development or to solve an immediate need. Social bookmarking is a way for students to save useful websites, tools, and collections and then in turn share their bookmarks with their social networks. Cloud tags are a visual representation of the basic concepts and topics covered in websites and blogs.  Cloud tags can be a basic way to index the ideas presented in a website.  Vitaly Friedman points out in Tag Clouds Gallery: Examples And Good Practices that cloud tags give an instant idea of the content by highlighting and weighing the most important and popular topics on a website, tapping into our tendency to think in concepts in models.



Team Danbe13

1 comment:

  1. Hi Becki,

    Liked your Wordle especially because the words information, library and medicine were so prominent. That seems very appropriate for you!

    I enjoyed your cloud sites. I could get lost in Craftsy and Google Cultural Institute. I looked up a piece of artwork I admire and found loads of information.
    This is more convenient than Google because there is so much to select from and you do not necessarily need to type in a keyword.

    When looking at your Pearltree I found a cauliflower recipe that I have to try!
    I agree that social bookmarking is a good way for students to save useful websites and to share them. It really helps with organization and it a great way for teachers to find information for the classroom. I think as schools adopt to using the cloud much more useful information will be available for students and instructors.

    ReplyDelete